Object/Work Type
Transportation Structures

Title Text
Monumental Bridge

Alternate Title Text
Ponte monumentale a due piani

Creator Description
Stefano Molli

Creator Identity and Role
Molli, Stefano as Architects and Engineers;
Alloati, Giovanni Battista giusto

Creation Date
1910-1911

Demolition Date
1911-1912

Styles/Periods Description
Neoclassical (revival)

Dimension Description
106.5 meters long

Descriptive Note Text
At the topographical heart of the Exposition, this structure was meant to dazzle the viewer with its size, color, and form. Dazzling white against the green of the hill in the background.
Offering a passage with a bridge over the river was the simplest thing in the world. But the smartest stroke of genius of the three relentless creators of all the buildings of the Exhibition, the Engineers Fenoglio, Molli and Salvadori, was not to simply and easily get the visitors from one bank of the Po to the other. They created a convenient and shaded route in tunnels illuminated by innumerable little windows that open onto the river, and an enjoyable one via the quick transport of the tapis-roulant. The grand bridge, constructed in wood and plaster by Viotti Brothers Co., is 106.5 meters long has 5 arches of 21.3 meters each. Halfway on each abutment there are two bow windows – one for each side – supported by caryatids sculpted by G.B. Alloati. In the middle of each bow window, begin columns by the sculptor Del Santo, with basements holding up Winged Victories by the sculptor Sassi.

Code in the 1911 Map
SIM 29

Related Protagonists

Related Architectural Documents