Object/Work Type
City and Province Pavilions

Title Text
Pavilion of the City of Turin

Alternate Title Text
Padiglione della Città  di Torino

Creator Description
Stefano Molli

Creator Identity and Role
Molli, Stefano as Architects and Engineers

Creation Date
1910-1911

Demolition Date
1911-1912

Styles/Periods Description
Turinese Baroque (revival)

Dimension Description
1400 square meters

Descriptive Note Text
The Pavilion of the city of Turin, a building that replaced the "Padiglione del Risorgimento" of earlier fairs, provides a significant example of the sense of Nationalism of the entire event. The pavilion’s function was to celebrate Turin’s leadership in the process of Italian unification with the display of Risorgimento artifacts, documents, and memorabilia gathered from all corners of the peninsula. The building was situated at the very beginning of the Fair itinerary, and was designed by architect Stefano Molli and recalled the structure of the Basilica di Superga with a pronao (colonnade entrance) and a great dome 47.5 meters in height. The facade displayed a series of "Victories" by sculptor Sassi and statues by Giacomo Buzzi-Reschini.According to the CTI guide, "The exhibit deserved a close examination, as it is evidence of the progress that the old capital of Piedmont achieved in half a century of thoughtfully collected and silently industrious existence."

Code in the 1911 Map
SIM 5

Related Protagonists

Related Architectural Documents