Architectural Structure: Pavilion of Newspaper

Pavilion of Newspaper
Name: Pavilion of Newspaper
Alternative Names: Palazzo del Giornale
Description: Designed by Architects: Pietro Fenoglio, Stefano Molli, Giacomo Salvadori di Wiesenhof, the Newspaper Pavilion was built by Impresa Quadri Beniamino e Colombo Giovanni. The Newspaper Pavilion featured a magnificent central hall (23 meters in height) occupying a surface of 22 by 80 square meters. The central hall was covered by a superb dome and was surrounded by an external portico. Over the portico were spacious galleries.  

The Newspaper Pavilion was one of the very few buildings that were designed to last beyond the exposition, as it was built with reinforced concrete on two storeys.  The building's glass facade was reminiscent of the Crystal Palace.  It was demolished in the 1930s.

This pavilion featured exhibits connected to the printing press and all related industries (lithography, production of ink, incision, photomechanical processes, graphic machines, bookbinding, etcetera). There were also exhibits devoted to famous journalists, and a retrospective exhibit devoted to the art of caricature (which was a huge force during the eventful period of Italian Independence). The Pavilion also featured an exhibit devoted to illustrated postcards.

The Exhibitions that took place in the Newspaper Pavilion were international in nature. Almost all the foreign nations, first and foremost France, Germany and England, participated in this arena.
Construction: 1910-1911
Size: 6000 square meters
Style: Turinese baroque (revival)